- Angelo’s Market, 349 West Main St., New Britain – New Britain City Journal Facebook group readers chose Angelo’s as it’s favorite deli in New Britain or Berlin. According to its website, Angelo’s is “Your number one choice for Authentic Domestic & Imported Italian & International Foods. Proudly serving Connecticut and beyond for over 60 years! Direct importer of many Italian Specialty Foods found in our store.”
There are over 35 sandwiches you can get at the deli as well as the top meats. Pizza pies, salads and soups are also available.
One reader said, “great sandwiches, pizza and Italian specialties.”
- Fred’s Deli, 138 Main St., Kensington – Came in at number 2 in the poll, but the best in Berlin. This is the home of the overstuffed sandwich. Combos, salad, cold cuts and other sandwiches available.
One reader said, “You get what you pay for and food is awesome.”
Another reader said, Great service. Love the people there! Delicious overstuffed sandwiches priced fairly. (not over-priced)”
- Underground Deli, 1535 Stanley St., New Britain – Takes the number 3 spot.
According to its website, “The Underground Deli is dedicated to serving excellence to people who want simple, delicious cuisine. We strive to give our customers the best culinary experience possible. Using only the freshest ingredients and serving them in a warm, comfortable atmosphere, each meal spent in the company of our friendly staff will always be a pleasurable experience. We are also devoted to making sure you don’t go home hungry. Our portions are as large as our desires, and even though we’re a small restaurant, there is nothing small about our service and quality.”
One reader said, “Over 50 subs to choose from, My number is #1 The Oinker: Ham, salami, pepperoni, bacon, American, & ranch on a roll.”
- Catanzaro Quality Meats, 560 Farmington Ave., New Britain – According to its website, “ Our customers include restaurants, deli’s, pizzerias, specialty markets and caterers, many of whom have been dedicated customers for many years. We attribute our success to the close relationships formed with our customers as well as suppliers.
Our product list is extensive and offers a full line of deli meats, dairy, fresh and frozen meats, institutional dry goods, frozen foods, paper products and a complete line of imported specialty foods.
All of our products are closely selected to be of high quality, hence our name, Catanzaro “Quality” Meats.”
One reader chose Catanzaro’s, “for The best roast beef sandwich!!”
- Kensington Market, 1014 Farmington Ave., Berlin – According to its website, “Kensington Market has been serving the public of Berlin and the surrounding areas since 1997. Located at 1014 Farmington Avenue. The Italian flair of Kensington Market is felt as soon as you step foot through the door, as you are greeted by home cooked food and a warm smile. Come in pickup a little slice of Sicily. Whether it’s one of our famous grinders, soups, salads or hot entrees or looking for just the right thing for dinner, we carry a variety of ready made meats to choose from. We can also assist you with any of your catering needs.”
According to one reader, “the spread of food they have daily is amazing. Also their customer service is top notch!”
- Roly Poly, 587 Main St., New Britain – It features a large selection of wraps, plus soups & salads. It is best known for it’s bakery, but cold cuts are excellent.
- Willie Peps, 366 Farmington Ave., New Britain – Readers put it on the list even though it is not necessarily a place to get cold cuts. Its sandwiches are among the best in the area. Try its soup, salads, sandwiches and now even breakfast.
- POLMART, 121 Broad St., New Britain – According to its website, POLMART Delicatessen is the best and the most popular part of the POLMART/POL-MALL store complex.
“POLMART delicatessen brings food goods and numerous products from Poland and other European countries, thinking only about exquisite culinary tastes of our Clients.
Meat and cold cut products come from the best butcher’s shops in Chicago, New York and Connecticut. Deliveries to our store are scheduled five times a week, which guarantees freshness and superb taste of our food products.”
- Martin Rosols, 45 Grove St., New Britain – According to its website, “At Martin Rosol’s Meats, we pride ourselves on the quality of our products. We have been producing high quality, delicious products since 1928. Our Kielbasa, Frankfurts, Kellies, Veal Loaf and many other meat products and provisions are produced to the highest quality standards.”
- Poziomka Polish Deli, 157 Broad St, New Britain – This rounds out our Top 10.